Tuesday, February 16, 2010

“The True Artist Helps the World by Revealing Mystic Truths (Window or Wall Sign)”


While most of the work done by Bruce Nauman did not appeal to me initially, this piece sparked my interest in his work. The neon light display is eye-catching and meaningful. One of his first works, the neon piece was displayed in a grocery store window and was inspired by a beer sign. Even tho the sign does not necessarily look like art, it was placed in a public venue and made a statement pertaining to art. That, in itself I think makes the work artistic. I would also agree with the statement made as true artists should pursue truth in their pieces, Art, like anything else, has purpose and I do think that it's purpose is not solely aesthetic splendor but giving meaning to the world and ordinary things that are a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment