Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Really an artist?


Jeff Koons is an "artist" who essentially makes larger versions of certain objects, including balloon animals and other enlarged animals. For this reason, Jeff Koons is seen as a somewhat polarizing "artist" in the respect that some view his work as incredible while others don't consider him an artist at all. Some view him as an entrepreneur of art, who simply has a factory where all of the work is done for him. He develops the ideas and then rest of the "true" artists bring these ideas to life. Is simply developing these ideas enough to be considered an artist? If you yourself cannot create your vision, does that deem you incapable of being an artist? In my opinion, I believe so. In my eyes Jeff Koons is not an artist, but rather a creative business man, or an entrepreneur if you will. He comes up with interesting and creative ideas that are considered art, however he cannot bring them to life and I feel for an artist that is the biggest challenge to accomplish. Anyone can develop great ideas for art, but it takes a true artist with talent to bring their ideas to life. One work that is definitely a piece of art is entitled "Puppy", but again he was not responsible for physically creating this piece, and therefor I do not consider him the artist of this piece.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think that Koons should get as much credit as he does. At the same time I would consider him an artist. This kinda makes me think of movies. I think that movies are a form of art and all the people involved are artists, however not one person can ever get all the credit. In the same way, Koons could get credit for his concept but the credit for the art work itself is owed to several people involved in its creation.

    ReplyDelete