Wednesday, April 14, 2010

ROLLER COASTER BED!!!!!!!!!!


Cuban based collective artists (Los Carpinteros) make sculptures, drawing and large-scale installations dealing a lot with furniture. The way that they perceive furniture is different than anyone may have in the past. When I first walked into the Tang at Skidmore and saw this exhibit I was completely at a loss for words. I had seen some interesting beds before as different shapes, which also ranged in size, being huge or absolutely tiny, but regardless in the end they were all just beds. I think this piece of work is so appealing to me because it combines basically my two favorite things in the world ... bed and roller coasters. I honestly think that if I had that this piece of art as an actual bed, I would never be bored in life, or quite possibly never leave the bedroom (because of the awesomeness of the bed). When looking at this piece of art, I actually took it a step further and said what if there were two different bed tracks intertwined with one another? That would be even better, and entertain even more friends. On a more serious note, I really enjoyed this piece of art because I had never thought of beds or furniture in any other light, but after seeing this artwork, it has me thinking about couches or any other furniture for that matter and how these could be altered and perceived differently in a create manner.

1 comment: