Thursday, April 22, 2010

Contemporary Art at Tang Museum





When I visited the Tang Museum in Saratoga I was amazed by the art there. The exhibits were not only interesting, but they were fun as well. I was shocked by how creative the artists were. My favorite exhibit was Los Carpinteros' La Mantana Rusa. This piece of artwork was a bed in the shape of a roller coaster. It combined architecture and furniture in a very interesting way. When I first saw this exhibit I was shocked that someone came up with such a creative idea. I think this appeals to many people around my age because of how humorous and exciting it is. The artists work has evolved since the 1990's, when he originally focused on
Cuban history. Now most of his work is globally and peripatetic-influenced.
The next exhibit we looked at was called Amazement Park, by Stan, Sara, and Johannes Vanderbeek. This exhibit used projection screens and other mediums. I did not like this exhibit nearly as much as the others. It was not visually appealing at all and was actually very irritating. I cannot describe what exactly made me feel uncomfortable about this exhibit but I did not look at it for very long.
The last exhibit at the Tang was by Fred Tomaselli. His exhibit was based on a series of pieces comprised of mostly pills and leaves that were covered in different layers of resign. He made all sorts of different shapes including birds and people and it was very interesting how the images looked very different close up than far away. From a distance you were not able to tell what the images were made of, but once you came closer and saw all of the details made out of mostly pills and plants, the art pieces were even more interesting. I thought the artists motivation for the artwork was especially cool. Fred Tomaselli grew up in California and was very involved in drugs. He also made surf-boards for a living. These aspects of his life greatly affected his artwork. The pieces that he makes are all made from layers of resign, which is also how surfboards are made. Overall I really liked this exhibit and thought the pieces at the Tang museum were very interesting. I would definitely recommend going to this museum to any of my friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment